Exploits Community Centre
The Exploits Community Association Inc. (also known as Exploits Community Centre) is a not-for-profit, multi-generational gathering place that offers social, educational, vocational, and recreational programs, services and activities to enhance the quality of life of Newfoundland Labrador Housing tenants, residents of Grand Falls-Windsor, and Bishop's Falls, NL. The Exploits Community Centre (ECC) is the newest of eight (8) community centres across the province funded by Newfoundland Labrador Housing (NLH). The organization was formed in 2007 and moved into its permanent location at 30 Bartle Place in 2008. The ECC is governed by a voluntary Board of Directors and currently employs a staff of four.
Accessibility, social awareness, and inclusion are each a priority for the ECC. Our primary programming objectives include poverty reduction, individual development, and community capacity building. We strive to provide a stable and positive environment for all members.
Our programs include:
- Community Cafe is a program for people living with mental health conditions. It provides a relaxing environment for the participants to play games, have a coffee, or just to sit and have a chat. Community Cafe takes place on Thursdays, from 6 - 8 pm.
- Homework Haven is a program dedicated to helping kids aged 6 and up with their homework Monday through Thursday, 3:00 - 4:30 pm. Once the kids have their homework done, they can then play games and have a snack, which is provided through the Kids Eat Smart Foundation. Students that attend Homework Haven must be registered.
- En-Tech takes place every Wednesday from 6 - 8 pm. It consists of basic computer training for seniors. Registration required.
- Community Kitchen helps you plan to cook on a budget. It also allows you to cook meals to take home! Registration is required; if you need more information please call!
- Moving for Health is a program designated for seniors to exercise and practice a healthy lifestyle. It is for seniors aged 55 and up! It takes place on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 10:30 - 11:30 am.
Exploits Community Centre
30 Bartle Place
Grand Falls-Windsor, NL A2A 2P7
tel. 1 (709) 489-2141
fax. 1 (709) 489-2143
Exploits Valley 50+ Club
Any Senior Citizen from the Exploits Valley (Buchans, Badger, Grand Falls-Windsor, and Bishop’s Falls) area may join the club. Membership allows any person to participate in recreational activities, meet people your own age, discuss seniors' topics and thereby help oneself to avoid isolation, the bane of today’s society.
To join, either contact any executive member or other members who you might know or leave a message at the centre, 1-709-489-3978. The annual dues are $25.00.
Member activities and events are held there five days a week (Monday to Friday). Please see the link below to view the schedule of activities. The club is rented at night and on weekends to bring in additional funds. In the late 1990s the club's name was changed to Exploits Valley 50+ Club, at the suggestion of the Seniors Provincial Federation. The idea was to entice some comparatively young people to join and run for election to the executive. The idea bombed so the old seniors have to bear the burden.
Exploits Valley 50+ Club
P.O. Box 682
25 Edward's Place
Grand Falls-Windsor, NL A2A 2K2
tel. 1 (709) 489-3978 (leave a message)
Friendly 50+ Club
The Friendly Fifty + Club is an organization for men and woman who are 50 years of age or older. Our Clubhouse is located at 50 Main St., on the corner of Wheeler Ave, Grand Falls-Windsor. All seniors from Grand Falls-Windsor and surrounding communities are welcome to become members. Our membership fee is $10.00 per year.
We have public card games on Thursday and Saturday nights (stating at 8pm), public bingo on Wednesday nights (8 pm) and darts Friday nights (7:30 pm) for members (at the end of each year we have an appreciation night for bingo players and card players). Christmas parties, summer bbqs and an end of year party are held for members.
We serve meals to travelling seniors groups, but arrangements have to be made well in advance. Most years there is an out of town trip for 3 or 4 days.
Our Club is a sponsor for the Cancer Society and the Alzheimer’s Society. The Club is available for rentals: for example weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, and family parties.
Come visit with us and check us out...
Renard Patey (Secretary)
tel. 1 (709) 489-4326
The Youth 2000 Centre has been an active community youth centre for the past decade. Through our partnership with the YMCA, our aim is to provide youth with many diverse programs which in return gives them positive attitudes, a sense of direction, and many opportunities for keeping active.
Most of our programs are free of charge and provide youth with the opportunity to work with positive adult models, which we believe is crucial for healthy development.
We offer programs such as:
- Homework Haven and Kids Eat Smart: a safe, supportive and quiet place for youth to complete their homework and have a healthy snack.
- Little Chefs: a program for youth to learn healthy eating habits and learn how to create snacks.
- Youth Drop-In: A safe place where teens can meet, have fun and take part in activities that promote stronger links between young people and their community.
- Woodworking with ELMO: Youth learn basics in woodworking and project completion. Start date to be announced.
- Creativity Unleashed: Kids can unleash their creativity through art and imagination through painting, drawing, sketching and so much more.
- Empowering Girls: a self-esteem program for girls ages 10-15 with educational & active living components.
Director of Youth and Employment Programs Community Youth Network & Exploits Valley YMCA
Grand Falls-Windsor, NL
tel. 1 (709) 489-7601
YMCA of Exploits Valley
The YMCA of Exploits Valley is a charity that enables personal growth in Spirit, Mind and Body through participation, partnership and services to the community.
The YMCA of Exploits Valley is the leader in providing programs and service that build healthy communities.
Program Service Areas
- Child Care and Youth development
- Preschool childcare
- Afterschool childcare
- Lunch/Afterschool programs
- Health, Wellness and Membership
- Aquatics programs for all ages
- Group fitness- land and water
- Individual conditioning programs
- Sports- Basketball, Squash
- Community Development
- Affordable housing
- Alternative suspension program
- Employment skills and development programs
- Partnership with Y2C for Community Youth Program
The YMCA is committed to "Strengthening the Foundation of Community" by nurturing the potential of children, teens and young adults; promoting healthy living, fostering a sense of social responsibility to deliver lasting social and personal change.
For information please contact the YMCA
tel. 1 (709) 489-9622
Or visit us at: 13 Prices Avenue
Grand Falls-Windsor, Newfoundland and Labrador