Saturday Drop Off Fees
|Car/Single Axle Trailer||$5.00|
|Car/Tandem Axle Trailer||$5.00|
|Pick Up with Raised Sides||$10.00|
|Pick Up with Single Axle Trailer||$10.00|
|Pick Up with Tandem Axle Trailer||$15.00|
|Pick Up with Raised Side/Tandem Axle||$20.00|
|Shingles in Pick Up/Car Trailer||$50.00|
|Shingles in Pick Up and Single Axle Trailer||$100.00|
|Shingles in Pick Up and Tandem Axle Trailer||$150.00|
* See attendant for Commercial and Contractor's rates.
|Remove and Replace Concrete, Curb & Gutter or Concrete Curb and Sidewalk||$25.00/ ft|
Garbage and Refuse Regulations
Pursuant to the authority conferred by Section 414 of the Municipalities Act, Chapter M-24, SN 1999 and in accordance with the Waste Materials (Disposal) Act, 1973, the Town of Grand Falls-Windsor have made the following Garbage and Refuse Regulations.
Garbage and Refuse Regulations
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Town of Grand Falls-Windsor Garbage and Refuse Regulations.
2. Interpretations: In these Regulations unless the context otherwise requires;-
(a) "Act" means the Municipal Act, 1999.
(b) "Town" means the Town of Grand Falls-Windsor as defined by Order-in-Council, dated the first of January 1991.
(c) "Council" means the Town Council of the Town of Grand Falls-Windsor, Newfoundland.
(d) "Sanitary Inspector" means any person appointed as such by Council.
(e) "Garbage" means all kitchen and table waste of animal or vegetable origin resulting from the preparation of food.
(f) "Garden Waste" means the waste materials from garden consisting of grass clippings, dead branches, bushes, weeds, plants, stones and other small materials.
(g) "Bulk Items" means heavy or bulky items such as stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, clothes washers and dryers, furnaces, boilers, bed springs, furniture, fencing, boxes and barrels and similar items.
(h) "Nuisance" means anything or any conditions of things which is or may become injurious or dangerous or presents an obstruction to pedestrians or vehicular traffic or anything or any condition of things, that in the opinion of Council has an unpleasant effect on the senses or adversely affects the amenities of the surrounding property.
(i) "Garbage Bins" means storage facilities for the purpose of storing garbage containers during periods between collection.
(j) "Container" means:
(1) an opaque polyethylene plastic bag of 1.5 gauge (1 1/2 mil) thickness fastened at the top and minimum size of 26" x 36" (66 cm x 91 cm) and not weigh more than 50 pounds or,
(2) a securely tied compact parcel of paper, cardboard or clippings not exceeding 3 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet in dimension and 50 pounds in weight.
(3) metal or plastic containers not exceeding 50 pounds (including garbage).
(4) portable garbage bins are permitted provided garbage is in proper containers.
(k) "Refuse" means all other miscellaneous waste materials not specifically defined as garbage.
(l) "Construction Waste" means any used building materials discarded during or after alterations or renovations.
3. Days and Times of Collection
(1) Collection of garbage and refuse shall be at least once every seven (7) days commencing at 8:30 A.M., except on some public or statutory holidays. On collection days that are the same as the public holidays listed below, garbage collection shall be made on the next following working day, unless advertised on the Town website. Public and statutory holidays observed by the Town of Grand Falls-Windsor are as follows:-
1. New Year’s Day
2. Good Friday
3. Queen’s Birthday
4. Memorial Day
5. Grand Falls-Windsor Day
6. Labour Day
7. Remembrance Day
8. Christmas Day
9. Boxing Day
(2) Collection of bulk items shall be by special collection only at such times and upon such terms and conditions as the Sanitary Inspector may determine having due regard to the availability of manpower and equipment and to the requirements of regularly scheduled collections.
(3) All garbage and refuse being placed for collection shall not be so placed earlier than 6:00 a.m. on the day designated for collection in the area.
(4) All materials refused for collection and/or containers must be removed from the streets by the householder before 6:00 p.m., on the same day as the garbage was placed for collection.
(1) Garbage shall not be put out for collection except on the day designated for collection in the area.
(2) No person or persons shall permit any animal owned by him or under his control to pick over, interfere, disturb, remove or scatter any materials placed out for collection.
(3) The resident is responsible for the protection of all garbage from the time it is placed at the curb until it is picked up by the Town Staff. All garbage placed at the curb for pickup will have to be placed in suitable ridged garbage containers or covered with appropriate materials such as netting, blankets, tarpaulins, etc. These covers must be weighted so they remain in place. Covers must also be removed from the curb no later than 6:00 p.m. of collection day. Covering of garbage will be mandatory and residents that do not, will be charged and if found guilty, will be fined. The resident will also be responsible for any and all cleanup.
(4) No person, firm or corporation shall place or cause to be placed any garbage or refuse at any barrier or along any roadside leading to or from the Town Waste Disposal Site.
(5) No person, firm or corporation, shall enter upon any area designated as Town Waste Disposal Site, except during the hours as prescribed or posted by Council.
(6) No person, firm or corporation shall place or cause to be placed any garbage or refuse upon any area of the Waste Disposal Site in contravention of any sign that may be posted, or in any area contrary to the instructions given by the Town Waste Disposal Attendant.
(7) No household hazardous waste shall be deposited or placed in a polyethylene garbage bag for collection.
(8) No person, firm or corporation shall deposit, throw, sweep or place any refuse upon any street, lane, drive, public place or private property outside buildings within the Town unless the same is enclosed in a proper container in such a manner as to in no way constitute a nuisance or annoyance to others.
(9) No caustic substance such as bleach, etc., is to be used on garbage containers.
5. Storage and Disposal
Every owner or operator of a building containing four (4) or more apartment units, shall be responsible for removal of refuse from their premises on a weekly basis to the Town Waste Disposal Site.
Every householder and every operator of a business establishment, shall be their own expense make adequate arrangements for:-
(1) The storage of garbage in receptacles that are impervious to animals.
(2) Every owner or operator of a business shall be responsible for the removal of refuse from their premises on a weekly basis to the town waste disposal site.
(3) Garbage or refuse left by any builder or contractor, or owner upon any street, lane, drive, public or private property outside of a building or buildings within the Town following the construction, alteration or repair of such building or buildings, shall be removed by the builder, contractor or owner, as promptly as possible.
(4) No householder or owner of a residential property shall store garbage in a container other than as specified in the Regulations unless the container is located at the rear of the residential building.
6. Suitable Containers
(1) Containers which are not disposable shall be maintained in a good state of repair and in a sanitary condition.
7. Disposal of Paper
All paper, newspaper, magazines, cardboard or cartons not placed in a water proof bag, shall;
(a) be flattened out and securely tied with strong twine or rope in convenient bundles.
(b) weigh not more than fifty pounds (50 lbs.).
8. Place for Containers
Garbage containers and proper bundles shall be placed for collection in front of the premises at the curb or street line.
9. Materials not Collected
The Town shall not collect;
(a) Liquid waste, household hazardous waste or other organic matter.
(b) Highly combustible materials, such as oil or gasoline, soaked rags, gas containers, ammunition, chemicals, acids or their residues, derivatives.
(c) Garden waste.
(d) Garbage or refuse which has not been placed for collection in the manner provided by these Regulations.
(e) Tree branches or roots.
(f) Sheet iron, scrap, metal, car bodies.
(g) Carcass of any animal or animal waste.
(h) Garbage in refuse left by any builder or contractor, or owner upon any street, lane, drain, public or private property.
10. Vehicles Carrying Garbage and Refuse
(1) No person, firm or corporation shall transport garbage or refuse of any kind on any street within the Town, unless such garbage or refuse is transported in an enclosed truck or container or is otherwise secured so that it shall not fall from the vehicle or other means of transportation unto the street.
(2) All vehicles and containers used for the transportation of garbage, refuse or swill, shall be kept in a sanitary condition at all times.
(3) The Sanitary Inspector may inspect vehicles used for garbage collection at all reasonable times to ensure compliance with these regulations.
11. (a) Notwithstanding anything contained in these regulations, the Sanitary
Inspector may at any time, order the owner to clean up and remove any accumulation of garbage or refuse outside any building or buildings or on any other private property within the Town; and
(b) If the owner neglects or refuses when ordered by the Sanitary Inspector to clean up and remove any accumulation of garbage or refuse from his premises, the Sanitary Inspector may cause the clean up and removal of such accumulation at the expense of the owner.
12. The Sanitary Inspector shall make periodic inspections of properties within the town for the purpose of enforcing these regulations.
13. Pursuant to Section 420 of the Act, any person who is guilty of an offence against these Regulations or who acts in contravention of or fails to comply with any provision thereof, or neglects or refuse to do so, shall be liable on summary conviction;
(a) for a first offence to a fine of not less than $100 and not more that $500 or to a term of imprisonment of not more than one month or to both the fine and imprisonment;
(b) for a subsequent offence to a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $1,000 or to a term of imprisonment of not more than 3 months or to both the fine and imprisonment.
14. These Regulations shall come into effect on the 16th day of October A.D., 2000 and may be cited as the Town of Grand Falls-Windsor (Garbage and Refuse) Regulations, 2000.
Approved by Council at meeting #438
on November 18th, 2014.
The Community Composting Program is located at the Parks and Recreation Depot on Scott Ave.
Hours of Operation
8:00am - 8:00pm
from May 6 - October 15
Please read the following list of rules and regulations:
|Items accepted include||Items NOT accepted include|
- All items dropped off must be taken out of their container/box/bag & put directly onto the pile.
- Limit of 2 wheelbarrows of compost to be taken per visit.